Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Thailand Travelogue: Of Summaries and Surgeries

I write to you a smaller man than I was a couple nights ago - two tonsils smaller to be precise. My parents decided Thailand was probably as good a place as any to get them out so we did it. With the amount of discomfort I'm in right now though, I'm not yet convinced it was worth it. It seems like I just traded a bunch of little crypts for a couple of painfully sore gaping caverns in the back of my mouth. I hope it was worth it.
We spent most of last week in Chiangmai, northern Thailand, which is definitely the idyllic and beautiful part of Thailand I had hoped to see - even if it is a big tourist trap! The area was rural, lush, and green, the air was much cooler and of course we were outside of big busy ol' Bangkok (which I may have taken a slight disliking to - it's so noisy and full of smog). In fact we couldn't have timed it better because their annual floods came early this year and took everyone by surprise with chest high water just the day after we left. Turns it this year was the worst flood they've had in over eighty years. The guest house where we stayed must have gotten flooded too as the night market was just down the way from us and they were on the news for the flooding. Sadly, though, there have been some casualties and they are still underwater out there.
While we were there though we did the whole thing, we: visited Buddhist temples on the top of mountains, saw traditional dance presentations, rode elephants and bamboo rafts, saw people working the rice fields, hiked through forest and saw some rural villages, cruised the river by our guest house, watched jewelry, paper fans, and silk being made, bargained at the night market, etc. I was so worn out by the time we came back to Bangkok! But that evidently wasn't enough as my mom and I shopped ALL DAY Saturday at the biggest marketplace I have every seen (maybe the biggest in the world).
This week there is a Harvest conference for some Burmese students here in Bangkok. We attended a couple hours on Monday. My mom and I tried attending today, Wednesday, as my dad starts his portion of the teaching but I didn't make it past noon before I was in major discomfort from the tonsillectomy and just had to go home. I wish I could have heard more of the guy Monday and Tuesday as he was from FHI (Food for the Hungry International) and apparently discussed stuff that could have been applicable to medical missions but I had a small bout with traveler's diarrhea which gave us the idea to pay the hospital a visit about the tonsils, where I ended up staying Monday night for in-patient surgery. The hospital is huge and feels almost more like a mall in that they have a huge food court and you have to go to different sections to see doctors that specialize in what you need. They have a lot of people who come to Thailand from the United Arab Emirates and elsewhere expressly for the purpose of getting cheap(er) medical care. I think it is called medical tourism - where you can get a package deal for plane tickets, hotel, and hospital visit. The waiting areas were full of ladies with all but their eyes covered in pitch black fabric. I shared my room with an older Arab fellow who wasn't coherent while I was there but his son, however, was rather friendly and chatted with me a bit before my surgery. This was my first experience getting full anesthesia... I guess there isn't much to it: the first drugs go into your IV, your eyes cross, they put the mask over your face and you wake up in the OR recovery room unable to lift a finger and choking on a breathing tube! Not really pretty either as my throat was paralyzed for quite a while and I couldn't swallow. I went twenty four hours without food and am on nothing but liquids now for another couple of days. Sniff... poor me...











No comments: