Friday, August 05, 2005

Thailand Travelogue: The Beginnings


Here begins a travel log of my first visit to Thailand on the pretense of seeing my parents during an all-too-short (three week) summer break from school. Thailand has been at the top of my list of places to go in this lifetime for quite some time now probably thanks to the 1999 film, Anna and the King, as well as thanks to a couple of my friends who got to go at about that time and told enough stories to awaken anyone’s curiosity!
Let me begin my tale with a pre-flight anecdote. As many of you know, I am a master procrastinator. Therefore one cannot be surprised this outing was preceded by the usual problem that plagues last minute air travel: a dearth of reasonably priced flights. In fact, three grand was the first rate I saw! After some casting about though, I discovered a gem that I think is worthy of sharing with all of you: hotwire.com. They beat the next lowest quote I could find for a round trip to Bangkok by a few hundred dollars! What’s the catch, you ask? Well, they do not tell you what airline you get or the flight time until after you purchase the tickets. They do, however, have a list of the airlines they use so at least you know what you won’t get; plus they let you know whether you fly AM, PM or redeye as well as the number of stops. Armed with those clues and my clever powers of deduction, I figured out the airline and the times from flights given on other travel websites. Pretty clever bit of detective work, eh? :o) WHAT?! No? Oh, fine. Say what you may, I still think it was a stroke of genius – and I bought the ticket.
So with my bank account not as badly drained as it could have been, with my bags not packed to the hilt, and with myself most definitely not unexcited, this adventure begins on the 4th of August with the 22 hour sitting marathon that is the transpacific flight to Thailand via a layover in Tokyo. Of that entire episode all I have to say is, why on earth does it have to be so grueling to sit all day? You’d think your body would conserve its resources with all that rest so that you can be a fountain of energy when you finally arrive. I mean, it works with kids during car travel doesn’t it? Sadly, we all know such is not the case with anyone older than eleven and, by the time I arrived at the Bangkok airport at midnight on the 5th, I definitely suffered the effects of sitting for so long. You know what nerdy thought kind of redeems it all though? The fact that after a year of medical school I actually have a decently thorough understanding of the body dynamics involved in leaving me feeling so crumby! The waning novelty of that thought will most likely not buoy me patiently through the return flight though; some other measures possibly involving chemical substances will have to be taken at that point in time. For now I am excited to see my parents again and to be in Thailand, the land of “Anna and the King”!

2 comments:

Jen said...

he speaks!

come home safely!

jen.ackie said...

Jon,
I don't think you have any room to comment about my not blogging since it's been...oh....almost 2 months from your last blog til this one....