Sunday, August 07, 2005

Thailand Travelogue: First Impressions

No, I have not recovered from jet lag yet. It is almost 8pm right now and I feel like I've been up all night! My parents and I have been doing a lot of shopping these first couple of days for office odds and ends. Bangkok has an entire 5-story mall dedicated to computers and related paraphernalia; I think Asians like technology more than even we westerners do! One thing I keep noticing is that most people here in the city wear earbuds. I can’t tell whether they like to be connected to their cell phones at all times (everybody has cell phones and they use them often) or they are listening to music. Maybe both – aren’t some cell phones able to double as mp3 players now?

To say that Bangkok is a bustling metropolis doesn’t cut it. The city is packed - bursting at the seams! I could never drive here. Today our taxi got in a fender bender with another taxi. This must happen often enough though because they simply pulled over, inspected the damage, and our driver flagged down another taxi to take us while they figured it out. No one seemed very upset. If I were driving, on the other hand, I would have a nervous breakdown just trying to take a turn! Of course, such fear and hesitation would guarantee me an accident right then and there anyway so I’d have good reason to be scared spitless.

And boy is there a lot of people. You feel too large and clumsy to walk around without bumping into stuff or people. One can be overly courteous too; I quickly found that letting someone by means I can’t move for a couple minutes as fifty people stream by. You simply assert yourself – walk wherever you’re going to walk and it all starts to work so much better! Don’t even think about wanting personal space.

As can be expected when so many people live in such close proximity, there is an assortment of smells to assault the senses everywhere you go, such as: dirty dogs, food, sewer, flowers, body odor, perfume, car exhaust, etc. I’m amazed that the street food vendors can make a living. I'd have a hard time being interested in even the best looking food when I can smell the sewer near by but people either don’t care or are used to it. But they also don’t seem to mind eating right next to a busy street! Sometimes you can feel the grit from car exhausts hit you in the eyes yet you see people calmly eating away right next to traffic. Amazing. Some people do care about the fumes though. Most of the street policemen and other people who have to work by the road all the time wear those white face masks that you always see in the pictures. The ones I don't get are the nose masks! How on earth is a little piece of paper that isn't even sealed well over your nose going to help filter out the air you breathe?
And they like to keep everything open too. E.g. the stores aren't sectioned off by walls - you're walking a long through the mall and next thing you know, you're in one of the stores. And the restaurants are often just sectioned off spaces. We ate lunch literally at a table on the walkway right next to shoppers passing by.

Yeah, Bangkok is neither green nor romantic. It is a bustling city; foreign and Asian in many ways but familiar to experiences I've had in others. They took a lot of ideas from Britain I think, even though they never were a British colony. E.g. driver on the right side of the car (and drive on the left side of the road). Plugs and electricity same as England also. Surprisingly, my brain hasn't tried to speak Spanish (my mom keeps saying pesos instead of baht when referring to money); instead I keep trying to speak what little Hungarian I learned last summer!! Weird, don't you think? Or not, I guess, as that was my last international experience. Well, that is all for now. My parents are waiting to play scrabble (if I can stay awake).
Ever seen a squat pot before?

1 comment:

J. Macotela said...

Wow, no había revisado tu blog desde hace mucho tiempo, y ahora me encuentro con estas historias. ¡Qué bien!