Friday, June 17, 2005

News, updates, etc.

Life has been hectic this summer and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. We were told the summer load at our medical school was going to be lighter than the fall and spring semesters but they LIED!! This is the closest I've come to failing one of my courses so far. I'm getting tired, burned out, whatever you want to call it. Yet I can't look my professors in the eye and complain we don't really need to know this stuff like I used to be able to do before medical school. As much as I may dislike memorizing lists of drugs, they matter to my future career and to the lives of my future patients. The responsibility that doctors shoulder is a bit frightening. Our mistakes could have dire consequences... but that's why they keep us in school for so long!
Now I can say I have tried acupuncture! One of our professors and some classmates are doing a study on whether acupuncture can relieve stress. So they ask us volunteer subjects some survey questions every week before taking us into a quiet room where we each get needles stuck in our head, hands, and feet and we lay still for twenty minutes. I'm not sure I'm sold on it yet. Yes, I feel very relaxed during those twenty minutes and usually feel stress free the rest of the day but the needles kind of hurt! The one at the top of my head I don't even notice but the spots where the needles are in my hands ache for about five minutes after they're put in and sometimes they itch the entire time. Still, it's an interesting experience.
I moved to a new place before the summer semester started. The third floor condo I live in now is a huge step up from living in a basement. I liked the landlords at the last place but my new landlords aren't too bad either. I live by a river now! I can look out on crew teams training in the morning and on water skiers in the afternoon right from our deck. I've attached a picture of what the river view looks like early in the morning just to make you jealous! Michigan may spend more than half its year in a dark, cold, miserable winter but the summers are really spectacular.

Grand River from our deck Posted by Hello

7 comments:

Jen said...

WOW! That photo is spectacular!

Jon said...

Thanks! I'm spoiled.

Jen said...

you're as bad as Todd with your month-long intervals between updates!

Jon said...

Sorry, I've been forgetting to take care of it. I'll try and write something soon!

J. Macotela said...

Oye, Jonathan. Vas a pasar el verano en Estados Unidos? Yo voy a estar por España todo agosto... de casualidad no pasarás por acá?

Jon said...

Oi, lo siento Jony. Yo estoy en Thailand (Tailandia?) ahorita por todo el mes de agosto visitando a mis papis quienes ahora son misioneros en Thailand y Burma. Espero que estes disfrutando tu visita en España!!

J. Macotela said...

Bueno, pues ni modo. Ya nos veremos algún día si Dios quiere. Cuídate mucho, saludos a tus papás.

Yo la estoy pasando muy bien en España. Tu disfruta tu estancia en Tailandia.

;)