Monday, November 28, 2005

Fiction

I have just been deeply moved to discover that one of the reasons an old and dear friend of mine is now such an amazing writer and lover of literature is because he saw how much I loved to read when we were children. I remember the stories we told late into the night, often recorded on tape, on the adventures of Jonathan and Jony. He was always the better speaker, by the way. What I did not remember was retelling the books I had been reading. In the winter of 1990 (I was nine at that time) I wish I had been able to better replicate the adventures that colored my imagination but, then again, had I been able to satisfy his ear maybe he never would have read them for himself! The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis is an outstanding set of books. Even though they are classified as children's literature, one of my post-graduate roommates just read them for himself, which goes to prove they can capture the mind of the adult as well as the mind of a child. I hope Disney does the first book justice in their movie coming out soon. A forest that connects worlds, meeting Aslan, wandering through a desert with a talking horse, sailing to the end of the earth, traveling underground, passing into heaven and more - all with Christian life lessons tied into the story. C.S. Lewis believed there are truths that cannot be learned by the heart unless they are told as a story. I agree; didn't Jesus teach mostly through stories too?
Now that my old friend has shared why he became an avid reader, I may as well reveal the sources of my inspiration too - my parents. Some of my earliest and fondest memories are of them reading an illustrated children's Bible to my sister and myself. Later I recall my mom reading books to me at night and transporting me into the lives of people in other times and other places. I still remember the stories she read but the one that stuck the most was the Island of the Blue Dolphins (of a girl who got left behind when her family abandoned their island home). In the oral tradition, my dad used his memories of the Lord of the Rings as a framework to telling the adventures of Jonathan and Kristin. When I discovered where he got his ideas, I read most of The Hobbit by Tolkien in a single night - well, not just because it was good, but because I was making regular visits to the bathroom all night that night anyway.
Books are an excellent tool for sharing imaginations and adventures. Humankind used to have oral traditions to pass on stories. Then came the printed word and stories were kept on paper to remain unchanged for the ages. Now, we've entered an age of telling stories by film. Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies more than most, but you have to realize movies don't inspire the imagination like books do. Why use your imagination when you are seeing the story as it has been imagined for you by a team of professionals? When I read a good book, I'm not looking at a page full of words. Though my eye may be following the black and white lines on paper, my mind's eye sees only the story unfold before my imagination and I become the characters in the tale. I'm so thankful God gave us imaginations.
Jony, I'm so glad you love books too. Have you read some of C.S. Lewis' other works of fiction? My absolute favorite book of his is Till We Have Faces, which I didn't discover till after leaving Mexico. You should read it sometime; I've read it many times and still learn new things every time through. Thanks for sharing your story with me.

6 comments:

jen.ackie said...

There is so much I'd like to say in response to this, that I may have to write my own blog about it. Short version: I agree. I love to read and I think that it is a shame that many people have allowed movies (not that I have anything against them) to replace books. No matter how good the movie, it can't capture the whole world of the book and it certainly can't capture the whole world that I've imagined beyond the book.

Anonymous said...

You write well. I'm going to have you write my memoirs when I'm rich and famous ... well, maybe famous ... well, maybe ...
Anyway, I love you,
Dad

Jen said...

are we still on for a narnia "date" when you come to town? :)

have you read the space trilogy? the first two didn't interest me much but "That Hideous Strength" is awesome!

Christianity Today and the National Review both dedicated their current issues to Lewis and Narnia--check them out if you get a chance (we have them here if you've not seen them by then).

See you SOON!

Jon said...

Can you wait long enough to see the movie until I'm in town? ;o) If you can, the "Narnia" date is certainly still on! (and even if you can't make it that long, I'm sure you'll want to see it a second time, right?)
I have read the space trilogy. The first one was definitely odd but I think I enjoyed the second one most of all - even more than the third one... gasp! The whole business with wizards coming back was a little much for me.
Remind me to read those articles on Lewis when I'm in town!

J. Macotela said...

Gracias, Jonathan.
Gracias por compartir tu experiencia también.

La verdad es que sí tuviste un papel muy importante en mi formación como lector. Gracias por toda esa imaginación, por todos esos libros, por todos eso años de aventuras infantiles.

A pesar de las distancias y de que cada uno ha hecho su vida a parte, puedo decir, en cuanto a mí, que aún persiste un rescoldo de quienes alguna vez fuimos. Nunca podré negar esa tierra, ese país d de mi memoria. No mientras viva... ¡y deja te digo que espero vivir mucho!

Te seguiré leyendo.
Cuídate mientras tanto.


P.D. Voy a buscar ese libro que me dices de C.S. Lewis, ¡claro que me gustaría leerlo!

Anonymous said...

Whooooa! I was telling my friend Ashley the most amazing story today, one you know very well, and decided to see what had become of you since last I heard. And there's so much!

I'm insanely jealous of your adventures to Thailand and West Virginia and who knows where else!!! (I guess if I read backwards on your site I'll find out.)

That said, I hope you've gotten the chance to see the narnia movie by now. I cried all the way through it. I've read those books a thousand times. They make me happy. And the others you mentioned too...I didn't know boys read Island of the BLue Dolphin but maybe if their mothers introduce them... *L*

It's good to know life is so grand on your end of the world. It's pretty keen here too. And much warmer. But maybe you'll have snow for Christmas. Snow or no snow, I wish you a Merry-Merry one! See you on the other side!!